Saturday, January 26, 2013

Dinner with sister + Feli @ Boon Tong Kee, Balestier

My sister is finally here again in Singapore with her husband + son! After 2 years :D With all the restaurant feedback I received from previous visit (“Twice the price and didn’t even taste half as good as China’s!” – feedback on No Signboard), I decided that I’m going to bring them to a restaurant closer to the locals, not too expensive, and serves unique Singapore’s style food. Boon Tong Kee matches the criteria. So there we go for the first dinner in Singapore in 2013 :D

Boon Tong Kee - Balestier - The Menu!
I ordered the usual stuff – chicken, vege, tofu. In addition, bro-in-law decided to try out “Pen Cai”, which is a pot full of seafood. I have been curious about the dish for quite awhile. Now that I can have few people to eat the seafood on my behalf, I was happily helping them to order it.

Make a guess what is this? Century egg covered with sweet ginger! 
My favourite kind of appetiser - braised peanuts!
The signatures! - fried tofu, spinach with assorted eggs, steamed chicken!
The food was nice, in my opinion. Yet, my sister has her own feedback– the rice was too oily, the chicken was not kampong chicken, the tofu was plain, and there is nothing special about the vege. The only thing that they said nice is the “Pen Cai” – not sure if it’s out of pity or if it’s really that special ^^; I’m impressed how my sister can come out with such specific feedback for each dish. I just swallowed everything in. That explained the difference in our size.


The "Pen Cai" - $68 - I forgot to take a pic so here is the pic from the Menu itself!
In the end, we still finished the food to the last bite, and had a very nice catch up :) Now I have another year for the pursuit of a place worthy of my sister’s taste bud.

Family Pic! My full credit to the pro auntie!
Whatever said, I still love Boon Tong Kee,
ED

No comments: