Sunday, January 21, 2007

Second week at Apple

I hope next week I will have more interesting story and won’t stick with this kind of title until “22nd week at Apple”. For now, let’s leave it the way it should be :P

My first project is ‘well done’ after a lot of enhancement in the GUI. I was really surprised that he put so much effort in the details such as the page header, titling, sentence used, date format, even the footer. Of course, me as someone that also prioritized the ease of user interface, appreciate a lot of his effort. As engineer, I thought he will focus on function rather than interface :p

Now.., yeah.. I’m still not feeling good of being somehow ‘compared’ with the last IA student before me.. :( “he is a fast learner.. he said he learnt a lot from this attachment, he is a very interesting guy.. his standard is very high.. why don’t you follow his way of programming.. he set a standard.. blablabla.. “..I wondered if I really did so bad that he need to tell me so many thing about Yun Fei (Got the information from Henry: He is a DI man, ABP, and URECA)

The thing was made worse during the 2nd day of 2nd week.. when I started learning AppleScript.. my supervisor suddenly came and suddenly uttered some words that really made me pondered around.. “As I said before, I gave full trust to you.. so I wont set deadline. Yah, the only feedback I got from Yun Fei (why must be him again..) is that I never set deadline.. but I want to keep that style. So, I fully trust you now. BUT, it might be reduced.” T__T.. what does it mean? It’s due to my online Adium.. or what? And then, when he browsed through Safari, he found that I bookmark a website started with “hack..” it is actually only a user guide on how to switch from mac from windows.. but he directly said.. “What? You learn hacking? Don’t make me worried k..” .. I was not giving you a good impression.. wasn’t me.. That was only my third time meeting him and I’m already suspected. After the event, I uninstall my Adium and delete the bookmarked page. But it’s too late... I can’t sleep until 4 that day. Not to blame him. It’s actually due to coffee overdoses =.=.. I drank 1 cup in the morning as usual, then my bosses’ bosses treat me one black coffee.. then during lunch I drank tea.. that itself enough to make me stay awake until morning >.<.. wish that it wont happen again. Hahaha..

Except from all complains above, he was really a good supervisor. He asked me for lunch together with his colleagues... and on the way there, explained that I should took the IA opportunity to broaden my network… instead of sticking only with IA student (I believe he must remember the time I rejected his offer for lunch during first day >.<) He introduced me to others and also adviced me to talk more. Eeengg.. I will try, k.. ^^; The colleagues also got talked and joke with me.. well, in overall, I felt Apple really has a good working environment =) (Ari, change ur mind to work at Apple again? :P) Imam and others also said that they’re glad with their supervisor. They have lunch almost everyday with the supervisor.. and the supervisor look for them about everyday.. waw.. while I don’t even have my supervisor number ^^;.. sigh.. ok ok.. not to be compared.

Talk more about the company itself.. the company structure is very fluid.. it’s hard to see who is the boss of who. Yesterday, I even got an email directly from Steve Job!! Ok, I know it’s just a mass mail, but we felt the sense of belonging to the company (with that kind of personalized email address somemore.. haha..) They also broadcasted the things that Apple did in other part of the world.. like the launching of iPhone. I regretted that I didn’t go to watch it.. so, when the second chance came to watch Steve Jobs internal meetings & discussion with employees, I went directly to Odyssey to join. It’s not really like meeting.. more like a simple Q&A sessions with the employees. I must said that Steve Jobs really knew how to entertain and make the session not boring at all. It last for roughly one hour. Felt that knowing more about Apple now.. hahaha.. (sorry, the detail is confidential only to employee~~~) hahaha.. just joking.

Anyway, I end my second week feeling abit relieved =).. The AppleScript has been haunting me through the week.. when in the end I asked help from supervisor and he gave me a new work before he looked through my problem. Thanks Alfon =) So now.. I’m in my third project.. back to php and something related to fraud review.. fufufu.. the rest is confidential :p

Ok.. let’s talk about other thing rather than Apple.. What.. 2 week is identic with IA log book? Haha.. to all of you who haven’t started it.. get started soon! I really stuck in what to write.. end up spending my whole weekend figuring it out T__T More complex part is that I need to get the print screen from Mac. So.. it’s not finished yet.. sigh..

On Thursday night, I was invited to join the Vibrant Blood internal meeting at block 59.. it’s more like gathering rather than meetin :p.. Most of the committee member are the people went for vietnam trip.. thus they have such a strong bond.. they even have the club call lame club =.=.. hahaha.. We ate Vietnamese food they cook for dinner that night.. tell you what.. it’s really delicious! More than the one sold in canteen o^.^o.. I really ate a lot. Thanks to Lame Club for the dinner.. haha.. (Felt shy though not contributing anything). We ate until around 10.30,then started the meeting for around 1 hour before packing and went back for IA the next day.. I took part as Asst. Publicity in Vibrant Blood (Pnp again!?) :p.. looking forward for it.. ^^


The world most delicious spring roll! *feel hungry again now*

On Friday night, another Red Cross meeting. This one was more like Annual General Meeting.. hahaha.. all representative from 15 RCHN came. Bravo Medy for the complain about cooperate coms. A lot of people felt the same way too.. so don’t feel too guilty about it~~.. The meeting was more of updating what has all RCHN done for 1 year.. I was quite amazed with SMU “Truly Magical Christmas” concept. Out from that, I found out that NTU actually being so much impressed for its Mission to Vietnam and Vibrant Blood. Yeah! :p.. We finished around 9.30.. but continued staying there until quite late.. before moving out and went to Plaza Singapore to have a drink.. stay until a ‘bit’ late that we need to take taxi back to NTU. But hey, it’s Friday night :)


RCHN NTU Team @ RedCross Home

On Saturday.. Day was filled with ureca discussion, redcross design, and abit of IA logbook.. (and having fun chatting with friends, of course :p) Sunday was filled with the return of IA logbook, phone conversation with mum, dad, bro and sister.. and blog.. next will continue with replying friend’s email~~~

Raining and raining,
Erlin.D

No comments: