The night before my first day, I slept at 10pm, then woke up at 23.30, thought that it was already 3.30 (due to no light) so slept for another 1hour plus before walked out to toilet with toothbrush… only to find out that it was 1.30 =.=.. lame me.. Lucky that I can go back to sleep easily.. and wake up freshly at 5.25 ^^.. taking shower.. then confuse whether to drink coffee or milk (eventually drank both everyday) and went to take first bus at 6.10. There were already 5 people waiting there.. all for IA. Then, until the bus came at 6.20, it’s around 9 people. The situation at hall 12 was even greater… it was at least 15 people.. ckckck.. I knew I wont be alone :p
Reached Ang Mo Kio with Alvin and Henry. Extremely too early. It was only 7.40 when I eventually reached Apple. Hahaha.. but Imam was even earlier than me. Cool. I was wearing informal.. so were others (there are 6 from NTU (5SCE and 1 EEE)) except Imam. Lucky me being the only girl.. so wont’ be compared with anyone.. hohoho.. :p Mr. Osland then helped us with the paperwork.. not until 11.. I have met Alfons, being briefed, got my own cubicle, and assigned a computer. The rest were promised to be given MacBook instead of old PC like me.. (jleb) but they didn’t get it that fast.. so, for the rest of the day, my cubicle was being the hot spot.. chatting and playing there (big, got computer, and hidden!) hahaha.. so not really did a lot of thing on first day.. ^^; had lunch at Apple’s Canteen. Mie Soto @ $2.5 (aa, forget to bring camera) It’s ‘big’ and worth the $2.5.. =).. Oh ya, Alfons also got introduced me to the ‘team’ members in Apple. I just knew that Apple works in team. There are around 20+ people in the team. The one who under Alfon and worked before me, Bai Yun Fei, really left a good image and high standard. Almost everyone knew and talked good about him. And all said that I must at least kept his standard.. sigh.. I doubt I can do it. Haha.. btw, Bai Yun Fei is also from NTU, ABP student. I was using his computer and cubicle too. Oh, Alfons also introduced me to people besides my cubicle, who is also an intern from Temasek Poly, Kai Li and Elirlyn. There are 7 of Temasek Poly students taking intern there (6gals and 1 guy.. haha)
We went out from Apple at 5.40, along with Motorola’s friend… Instead of taking bus 70, we figured out that we can actually walk.. it was only about 15 minutes. (haha.. can save $.$) reached boonlay, failed to find the free shuttle, eventually took 199 to ntu… then had dinner with jess, wk, and medy.. discussed ureca and redcross for awhile… (I’m so sorry for the stamp >.<) then back.. shower.. and still got time to eat bika ambon @ hall 16 (thanks WK as the sponsor) before went to sleep. Hahaha…
Second day, another first bus.. the kiasu people taking first bus are lesser by half. Lucky that I met Ivana.. so got friend to chat until Khatib. Haha.. She worked at Charted. Nice^^.. Got information of the new place of free shuttle bus.. Thanks a lot ne =).. Again, I reached Apple at 7.40.. the place was still empty.. so, relax and chatting for a while ^^; Then got my email account at apple: erlin.diana@asia.apple.com felt so coooolll.. but only to find the email about my project1 inside.. sigh.. :( hahaha.. so.. my first project is.. *censored due to confidentiality issue* muahahaa.. (kept laughing.. mad) but it’s related to php and mysql. So happy to get the chance learning php =).. My access card also out le.. not as nice as expected.. only looked like picture and name glued to a carton >.<
Here.. I want to list out some pro and cons of working at apple
Pro
Good brand name (from my stupid point of view)
A lot of friends (never felt bored)
Big cubicle (plan to put coffee there soon)
Good Supervisor (can talk in bahasa Indonesia ^^)
Got 15% discount for full time staff (can ask supervisor to buy for us)
It’s using Mac (got the chance to learn another OS)
Cons
Far (5.30 in the morning! Everyday.. oh.. @.@)
Small allowance (yah.. we’re cheap labor what.. bo pien..)
No free welfare (well, the drink is only $.20, actually)
Supervisor is Indonesian (never can improve my English then..)
I should have intern last semester... (Full timers all got Nano as christmas gift, intern got Shuffle!)
It’s using Mac (productivity dropped by 50%)
Yah, that’s what I can think of.. will update once I got more. Hahaha.. But really, using Mac is a challenge. First thing I found out is that the shortcuts are all different.. Second is that the window at Mac kept moving T__T… I still can’t control it until now. And the path in Mac! It’s really confusing. All the server application isn’t visible.. can’t be access through interface and must use Terminal.. Imam loves it so much.. so does Liao Liang (he had been using Mac for 3 ++years) I hate it so much T__T.. everything is totally opaque for me. Let me tried to think if there is anything good about mac.. heem.. no right click and scroll? Absolutely not a plus point. Hahaha.. well, it’s very easy to install application in Mac. All in One Click with the .dmg file. And to uninstall? Simply drag the application to trash bin. Cool.. Another cute thing is the widgets when we keyed F12. I heard that Windows Vista is going to have it, too. Let’s see =D
Ok.. continue the story.. second day, started to do the project.. had lunch at the coffee shop just across the Apple – chicken rice. Nice enough ^^.. then.. started working again.. until another 5.30. hahaha.. then went to Boonlay.. managed to get the free shuttle bus this time.. yeah ^^.. reached can2 around 7.15, had dinner, then went to market to buy mop $3.8, then went to library to print stuff, and reached home around 8.30.. sigh =.=.. then took bath, helped Ivana with her compie for 1 hour.. and then time to sleep again.. T_T.. is this how we spent day during IA? Oh no..
Third day.. wake up lazier at 5.35.. do routines stuff.. then set off and met WK this time. Reached Apple at 7.50 due to rain. Then started my day.. worked until around 12.. then lunch with the Poly’s students @ coffee shop - Fish Ball Minced meat noodle $2.5 (Imam was caught by his supervisor.. so was Liao liang.. Loy was having lunch with Motorola friend, Yongky cs cancelled lunch at coffee shop due to rain.. hix hix..) then, after lunch, Apple had screening of iPhone launching… which I didn’t attend since my supervisor said nothing about it T__T.. The rest went to watch the screening.. they said that it’s so cool.. will only be published at asia pacific on 2008, US$499.. I wondered.. haha..

iPhone
That day… I actually plan to go home at 5.00.. but since no one accompany me (Imam need to go to cityhall at 7, so don’t want to back that early) I stayed until about 6. Sent email to Alfons at around 5.40 to let him know that I’m still at Apple at that time. Huahahaa.. lame =.= Again, I reached home almost 8 today… only because I da pao at can1 and missed a shuttle bus. Sigh.. tomorrow must be better!!! Want to reach NTU before 7.. hahaha.. Still first week ma.. so optimization of time and money is still on progress :P Ok.. 10++ now… time to sleep again.. >.<.. Nitez~
21 weeks + 2 days to go,
Erlin.D
No comments:
Post a Comment