Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Lost Passport Case - Closed

Today, I received information that I don’t have to reapply for UK Visa. I stared blankly as the confirmation e-mail was being printed out. Finally… I can close the passport case from my mind… (At least until I am back to Singapore).

It really has been a big mess. First time, I thought I will just need to reapply for a passport, and that’s it. The first adrenalin’s rush came after I heard that Embassy of Indonesia can’t provide me with a new passport, as I’m only holding a business visitor visa in UK.

Indo Embassy: “Sorry, you have to be either a student or holding work permit to request for a passport here”
Me: “Oh, I only have Singapore’s Work Permit”
Indo Embassy: “So you can go back to Singapore to make your passport”
Me: “But, what am I supposed to do without a passport?”
Indo Embassy: “We can issue you a travel document, to certify that you can enter Indonesia to make a new passport”
Me: “But I’m flying back to Singapore! Will I be able to enter Singapore?”
Indo Embassy: “You’ll need a work permit to be able to enter Singapore”

Work permit issuer: “Don’t worry Erlin, we can reissue a new work permit for you”
Me: “Thanks so much!”
Work permit issuer: “No Problem! Just let me know when you have get your new passport”
Me: “…”

At the end of the day, I knew that I need passport to make a new work permit and I need a work permit to enter Singapore and make a new passport. What a chicken and egg situation. I was really unsure if I can enter Singapore.

To make thing worse, I read through the online FAQ that if I lost my passport, I need to reapply for UK Visa. Nothing is being mentioned of what will happen if I didn’t reapply. Great, now I am not even sure if I can exit UK.

And as I can’t get through the UK immigration officer phone, I was so stress up. Top up with the upcoming exam, I was really in a bad mood. Finally after a week of arrow pointing in UK, I asked for help from Singapore. In less than 2 working days, everything is settled. I called Embassy of Indonesia in Singapore, and they told me that I can still enter Singapore as long as I have the copy of my work permit with me (thanks God I have it). And then, my manager helped me to check and confirm that I don’t have to reapply for UK visa. Perfect =D

Now I have nothing to worry and I can focus on my training… but guess what, I was sleepy throughout the training just now T_T Maybe I have been using too much of my adrenalin. Or maybe I need to do some sport to keep my spirit. Or maybe I need more rest. Or I’m simply a lazy pig.

The last one make most sense,
ED

No comments: