Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Singapore Citizenship Journey

I went to ICA to apply citizenship on 30th June 2012. I managed to submit my application (finally!) and they told me that the processing would take up to 9 months. With that I went back and thought that I wouldn’t hear anything until after Chinese New Year.

Exactly two months later, on 2nd Sep 2012, I received an In-Principal Approval on my application. I wasn’t expecting it at all! Apparently ICA is really good in giving themselves buffers. I have a lot of learning to do on expectation management.

In Principal Approval for Citizenship!
The mail was basically informing that I have passed through the first level (the letter didn't start with a Congratulations, why?) and there are 3 mandatory things I need to complete within two months to move on to the next level (challenge accepted!)

a. SC e-Journey – done on 11th Sep’12

SC e-Journey is an online-based lecture comprised of all the key items that all Singaporean should be aware of. It has interesting facts about Singapore that I never really noticed before. Quite fun to complete (especially when there is no grading in the end)

The MRT-Looking eLearning
b. Community Sharing Session – done on 24th Sep’12 

We have to book this online, and they seemed to offer only 1 session per month. When I went online, the registration for Sep session was already closed. I emailed to ask and they were really swift in getting back to me (emailed them at 9pm and they get back by 11pm! And no, it’s not automated answer). I managed to join the rest for the Sep slot.

This is where we get to meet the grassroots leaders from our GRC. Queenstown is considered part of Tanjong Pagar GRC, so we gather along with soon-to-be Singaporean from Buona Vista, Tanglin-Cairnhill, Tanjong Pagar-Tiong Bahru, Kreta Ayer-Kim Seng + Radin Mas SMC.

Tiong Bahru CC! Cost me $15 to reach there by taxi during peak hour!
The settings for the session
My tag and feedback form!
One of the key highlight of the session - buffet dinner!
The session started at 7pm at Tiong Bahru CC with a buffet dinner, then continued with a presentation and breakdown to smaller group (there was 80 of us that day) for Q&A. There was literally zero question ask (no one would have applied for citizenship if they still have question, I guess?) so we went off after few minutes.

c. Singapore Experiential Tour – done on 25th Sep’12 

Similar to the community sharing, we have to book our slot online before going for this tour. Getting too anxious, I registered the first slot that I saw, without realizing that there were different tours available! We can choose between LTA, Marina Barrage, and URA. Unknowingly, I choose LTA… Given choices I would have gone for URA!! (Ok I can always visit it again by myself)

I got to take half-day leave for this, and I’m glad that the segment was not disappointing. They got professional tour guide to lead us through the National Museum of Singapore (near Dhoby Ghaut) and Land Transport Gallery (near Little India). It was one of my best visits to museums! :) Thanks Bernard and Jenny! We finished at 3.45pm while the official mentioned time was 4.30pm (talking about managing expectation).

Panorama Shot with iPhone 5! I love it!
Clear Direction to the Meeting Point
Agenda for the day!
Two Free Passes to visit Museum to complete the rest of the gallery ^^;
Second Stop - Land Transport Authority @ Little India!
I find the whole gallery is so cute and amazing at the same time
Old time Cars
Challenge Room - We are all seated in a comfy race chair and have to answer questions on the screen
Lastly, a request to like their facebook page before they gave us a freebie ^^;
I was trying to decide about going back to office or home or gym, and decided to go back and type this blog instead :p

To the next level!
ED

20 comments:

cd said...

should have choose URA...then we can meet ;P

Anonymous said...

I am curious how long it took for you to get the final approval letter after finishing all three components?

Unknown said...

less than a month!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I got my final approval. I am just wondering what we need to do on the citizenship registration day.

Anonymous said...

Great post.... very informative.. Enjoy Singapore.

Anonymous said...

Hi what do you mean by managed to subit your SC application (Finally!!)? you tired submiting before? i've just submitted mine after 3 times and the recent application i applied together with my the 19mths old baby girl. Wonder whats the chance of the application. The officer from the assessment counter told me i'm eligible BUT i do encounter some of my friends got rejected eventhough was eligible to apply?? anyone went through the same situation?

Unknown said...

I tried to apply before but then the assessment officer told me to wait for another half a year (basically told me that I'm not really eligible)

Things might have changed since last year!

hollowsix said...

hi, i will be going down to ICA tmr for my application too! im just wondering, why do you have to go through the 3 mandatory stages? does this applies to everyone who are eligible? i read the website and they didnt state that we have to go through this.

thanks!!

Unknown said...

Gud luck on your application! Oh, I think they will let you know when you get the in-principal approval letter. You can read more in their website: http://app.nationalintegrationcouncil.org.sg/SingaporeCitizenshipJourney.aspx

Anonymous said...

What is the time frame given after receipt of approval letter to renounce your current citizenship? Or is there timeframe given?

Anonymous said...

Hi Erlin,
Thank you for the great post.
I just got my an In-Principal Approval letter .

I just want to know if there is any test or exam at any point before getting the pink IC ?
Many Thanks
A.M.

Anonymous said...

Hi Erlin,
Congrats on your citizenship approval! I submitted mine last year in June and am still waiting. I did check with the ICA officers and they told me it may even take up to a year for both the rejection and successful cases!
A little bit of my background I am a Spore PR for over 20yrs, grew up and studied fully in Spore ever since kindergarten. I feel truly "Singaporean" in every sense of the word especially when my parents and sibling are SCs.At that time when we applied as a family it was told that i was above 21 and not eligible for family sponsors.i am praying hard that my application gets approved soon!

May I ask what your background is, did u apply on economic grounds or your spouse is SC?

Any idea if ICA has a minimum for the salary contribution?
soon.
May I know what your background is, were you applying purely on economic basis or married to a SC?

Unknown said...

hi i am singapore pr who applied for citizenship under family scheme as my wife and three children are singaporean.I got pr in sep/2011 and I applied citizenship in oct/2013.my wife is working as teacher in singapore and I am working as sales manager in overseas.we have 4 room hdb flat and my children is studying in singapore.my family is in singapore.is any possibility to get citizenship?

Anonymous said...

hi! Erlind, Thanks for the comprehensive info.
Anyone can comments on 'single(s) applied' and was offered the citizenship? any chance for single or it is best after married (status) to apply.
Thank you

Luton Airport Parking said...

Hope it would be a good journey for you.
cheap airport parking luton

DaisyParker said...

Good luck for submitting your application.
luton meet and greet parking

SabrinaGreen said...

Thanks for sharing. meet and greet parking Heathrow

Brooke Higgins said...

Keep sharing such an amazing post. airport parking luton

piggy said...

do i need to birng my aip letter when i attend the event?

Anonymous said...

May I know what is your previous citizenship? After you have completed the 3 programmes, you received the approval letter in less than 1 month? After that what to be done? And what is the time frame? Thanks!