Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Final Year Project

So far, I had just complained about crypto. Let’s grumble about FYP today.

For this 2 weeks, I had practically done nothing. Doesn’t mean that I didn’t touch my FYP at all... no. but it’s just that there is no improvement.

Based from Alfonso’s code, I have built a stand alone application for server. The app can get image, extract, translate, convert to voice, and output the necessary file. But then, the integration part comes to be tricky. First, I didn’t know about the structure of the server. Second, I wasn’t granted access at all to server. So, how am I going to integrate it?

Prof expected me come out with one file in which I can then just tell the lab technician to put and thing will just work. But that’s not the situation at all. Lab technician deals more with hardware and setting up access, but didn’t know about the software inside server. Nor did Prof Yeo. Then who knows? Again, I disturbed Alfonso. Then he told me that it was Su Ming, the PO who helped him all the way last time, along with another FYP student. Too bad that Su Ming had just moved out and the other FYP student should have graduated.

So I consult with Prof Yeo again. She were then granted me the access to private server. It was the server where I should plant the code. Ok. Look through the server. Copy Paste my code to the server. And I got errors due to the lower version of .Net Framework used in the server. So I converted my code to suit the needs. But afterwards, if I’m to do the real demo, I’ll need to send MMS from mobile to server, which will then call my functions and sent back the result to mobile. Yes, it is said that the MMS server had been build in CeMNet. However, I didn’t have any information about it, no documentation, no readme, no nothing. I was again left with nothing to start of. Stuck again.

Consult with Prof Yeo, she asked me to contact Su Ming directly. I emailed him.. and get the reply only one week after I eventually sms him. He explained some stuff, but then suggested me to approached Ms. Chua for further detail. So I approached Ms. Chua. She was then telling me to approach other FYP student. So I approach the student. But he is just as blur as I am. He said that he was only doing SMS, not MMS.. and clement is the one who know clearly about it.

In the end, I really felt mad with this endless pointing process. At one side, I know I should not keep bothering Lab Technician.. she already helped me with what she knows… On the other hand, I don’t feel right to keep bugging Su Ming too, as he already left CeMNet and not a staff here anymore.. sigh.. This MMS project has been developed since like 5 years ago… So the best thing I can do now is to read the FYP report of the implementation, starting from FYP 02… But then... there is no specific documentation about the server. Siiigh..

Now start reading the code from FYP 02,
Erlin.D

No comments: