Monday, November 28, 2011

The Alternative to iPhone Home Button

For iOS 5 user, you can go to Settings > General > Accessibility. Under the section for Physical and Motor, turn on Assistive Touch. You will then see a small button pop up to the screen and seems to float around the screen.

Assistive Touch near the left down corner
That’s my life savior.

For a barbaric iPhone user like me, I always have issue with the home button. Last year I exchanged my iPhone because the home button wasn’t responsive after couple of months. This year, I was thinking of changing to iPhone 4S for the same reason: the home button was getting harder and harder to activate. I have no problem with the battery or lag in response, but what can you do when you can’t press the only button in your mobile? It’s almost impossible for me to switch between apps.

With this Assistive Touch, I can now do whatever you need to do with home button with the virtual button on the screen. I can even double tap! I don’t know why Apple never mentioned about this awesome function in iOS5. Thanks to Chang Hong for letting me know :) This really chased my Monday blues away!

The virtual home button has exact same function with the real home button
Guess I will be able to survive until the next iPhone release now! Hehe.
ED

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing such a nice functionality. I was looking for this for so long...

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the Tip!!!
You´ve make my day ; )

Blackberry Repair said...

This is my first opportunity to visit this website. I found some interesting things and I will apply to the development of my blog. Thanks for sharing useful information.
iPhone Repair

Blackberry Repair said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Anyone know how to take a screenshot with the virtual home button?

Anonymous said...

To take a screen shot hold down your power button and tap your home button at the same time. You will see a "whiteflash" come across the screen and your picture will be in your photo log.

Anonymous said...

Anyone know how to take a screenshot with the VIRTUAL home button?
I tried the power button & the VIRTUAL home button but the virtual icons show up in front of the snapshot.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for the info!! They don't tell you so you'll buy a new one due to wear....much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

To take a screenshot with the virtual home button:
touch it > device > more > screenshot

Anonymous said...

That’s a very cool discovery, Erlin! Whenever the home button troubles me, I always use the old school approach: turn off and on my phone, and then reset it. But with this “secret” way, I can save time, and my frustration will ease a little. Thanks!

Regards,
Venus Eckert

Anonymous said...

Thanks a Lot for that tip. Now i am able to decide when to change/repair the home Button.
By the Way: i tried another simple trick an it seems to work Perfect. Just use an Electric toothbrush an clean the Button for approx 2 min - of course with a dry brush. It really worked perfect :-)
Just give it a try. (it was a German Youtube Video)
Kind reguards from Austria.
Markus

cheapest android phone said...

You will then see a small button pop up to the screen and seems to float around the screen.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is Fantastic! My son is so happy! Really appreciate the tip! You just saved me loads $$$$.