Saturday, November 17, 2012

CSR Beyond Us 2012 – Fly High With Us

Started my Saturday morning volunteering at Marina Barrage with a bunch of colleagues :D

I learn from the rest that it’s the 12th installment of “Beyond Us” – one of the many Corporate Social Responsibility events we have in the bank. The theme for this year is “Flying high with us”, which is co-organized with The Care Community Services Society with students from New Town + Zhonghua Carehuts.

Each of the volunteer is given a kid to take care of. My kid was a lovely 7 year-old student from New Town named Wan Ting. The main highlight of the event is kite making and flying. It’s my first time making kite and flying kite – We started with designing our own kite, and then they taught us how to tie the kite, and then off we go to the wild trying our best to fly the kite :D

My kid for the day - Wan Ting! 
The weather was sunny and the kids were having so much fun. It’s my first time making and flying kite, so I was as happy as the rest of the kids, if not happier.

Our kite up in the air! Ours is the one with Rainbow Love Design :D
After playing for around 2 hours, we had some refreshment and then went for Marina Barrage’s guided tour. I don’t think I remember anything about the exhibition, but at least I remember how cooling the air-con was :p

Refreshment - For the kids only
Educational Exhibition of the Reservoir
Following next after the tour was water play for the kids. Actually we were free to join them as well, but I didn’t bring any change of cloth and decided to give it a miss.

The Uncle and Aunties talking picture while waiting for the kids playing water
There was Strait Times event as well at the same time!
Soon after the water play is the most awaited section of the day… Lunch! Lunch was a decent buffet :) I sat along with the coordinator and the kids, and was quite impressed of how well behaved all of them are. The lunch was pretty much denoting the end of the activities. The last but not least was some gift presentation for best kite design and highest kite. We took the school bus that dropped us at Raffles Place, and we can take MRT from there.

Queuing for the lunch!
My Lunch @.@ It was really a lot. Thanks to all my colleagues who know me best.
I spent the rest of the afternoon recharging for movie marathon :p Have been watching quite a few nice movies lately – Step Up, Total Recall, The Expendables 2, Ted, The Watch, Brave, Looper, alright I lost count.

Flew kite for the first time!!
ED

No comments: