Saturday, June 08, 2013

Run for Life – The Volunteer Experience

Having banned from joining run (by my parents), I decided to be at the other side – organizing run! :D Ok, it’s not really organizing, it’s just being there on the actual day as a crew instead of a participant XD

I registered as volunteer from my company few weeks ago and went to the briefing event on Tuesday at ORQ. It was not bad – met few old friends. The organizer is sweet enough to give us some cup cakes!
Run For Life - Briefing @ ORQ!
Sweet cute cupcakes! It's really delicious as well
For the actual day – the event started at 7am, we needed to reach by 5am, and I need to wake up at freaking 3am since the location is at East Coast. I cursed myself for signing in while trying to roll myself up. Did a quick freshen up and went down to flag a cab (no other cheaper alternative)

My HDB Complex - 3am in the morning ZzzZzz

I took a cab to JCube , followed by a shuttle bus which brought us to the event area. I was so sleepy I dozed off during the travel. I woke up by the smell of McD – and suddenly I remember the reason I sign up – free breakfast :p

$11 cab for a McMuffin, something wrong with my benefit cost analysis
After a quick breakfast, we’re being briefed of what to do. I belonged to the Route Marshall Sector 1, and being tasked to help with controlling the traffic flow at 3km & 9km junction for 10km run. My friend and I were deployed at 6am, and we’re just sitting at east cost watching sunrise while waiting for the run to start – quite nice but I forgot to take any pic, thanks to my sleepiness.

There were policemen giving briefing about suspicious objects
My mind wakes up when I saw the first runner. I got really excited and started to jump up and down while cheering, especially on the 9km mark when people started to feel really tired. It was a different experience all together being in supporter side compared with runner side. It allowed me to see different kinds of runners and well, most of them are really sweet! They smiled at me, gave me thumbs up, said thank you, and even high-five me and pull me to run along with them ^^; I hope to be a better runner next time if I get the chance. And oh, I even met few friends!

"Go go go! Keep it up! Good Job! Almost there!"
My real job is to shift these cones around
The event finished at around 11am, and I went back to the event site to watch some of the performance. Soon after, I started to feel sleepy again, and decided to go back home. I dozed off in MRT and took nap for the whole afternoon – tired, but the experience worth it :D

Taking pics with the cat lady
Thanks Run for Life & DbPride for the opportunity to be part of this event!
Still paying my sleep debt, ZzZ,
ED

No comments: