Wednesday, December 21, 2011

4 Days to Christmas

Famous People Died in 3’s?

I know death is probably not the closest topic to Christmas right now, but… I like myths and the story I read today really piqued my curiosity :p

I recently know about the club forever 27 (the superstition that famous musicians died at age of 27) during the death of Amy Winehouse. I was surprised to find out that there is such a long list, and it’s growing each year.

This time, with the death of Kim Jong Il, I come to know the saying that “Deaths come in three” (in this case, for famous people). Couple of the examples are:
  • Princess Diana (31 Aug 1997), Mother Theresa (5 September 1997) and Mubuto Sese Seko (7 September 1997) 
  • Ed McMahan (23 Jun 2009), Farrah Fawcett (25 June 2009), and Michael Jackson (25 June 2009) 
  • And of course, the latest trios are: Christopher Hitchens (15 Dec 2011), Kim Jong il (17 Dec 2011), Vaclac Havel (18 Dec 2011) 
There are lots of other examples cited, but I’m not that avid reader, so I don’t know most of them.

In my half hour research in this topic, I learnt that the number “three” means something for Christianity (e.g. The Holy Trinity) and that might explain why the myth is so popular. Of course, I did found a lot of mathematicians complaining that it’s all derivable through statistics and purely coincidental. Haha.. Well, we are pattern-seeking creatures, and we find patterns where there are none :)

Ok, that story aside...

Big boss is taking leave today and well, I'm so busy trying to act busy in office today XD. I still have to complete my development plan and draft objectives, but I got no mood to work, really. In the afternoon, I joined the lady lunch session held by our senior management. We got free lunch (McD! Any meal of your choice! I have hard time to pick between prosperity burger and McGrill) as well as got to listen about diversity and issues sharing (if you got any).

Personally, I can feel that the management is really putting a lot of effort in this diversity and equality for ladies. So much effort that I afraid the guys will soon protest that we're discriminating them. Well, ladies get all the gender-specifc perks - maternity, the woman conference, the ladies lunch with senior management, the free nursery consultation, etc etc... but I never heard any for the guys. Hahaha...

After the lunch, I had my daily call until 5pm, followed by another call until 7pm. I didn't get to run, but get to come home early and rest. Two more days for this week!! For some of my colleagues, tomorrow is their last day for the year. For most of my friends, Friday is a half day for them, but I haven't heard anything for my side T_T I want half day, too!!! It doesn't matter if I didn't know what to do, but at least I want to see some sunshine when I leave. Haha...

I mistook today as Mother's day and caused my sister to call home at the wrong date XD. Well, it's tomorrow for Indonesia... along side with the Tangyuan festival (glutinous rice ball). Maybe I should try to get some Tangyuan tomorrow.

I downloaded Justin Bieber's Christmas collection and it was... disappointing T_T For Christmas song, i still prefer Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas" and Britney Spears' "Santa, That's my only wish this year"

Till tomorrow!
ED

No comments: