I noticed through movies (and song, and book, and real example) that “Sorry” is one of the hardest words to say. My cute 3 years old niece would rather than having to apologize ^^;
I guess it ties to the fact that by saying “sorry”, you’re acknowledging that you’re wrong, and you’re asking a favor from someone else to forgive you. It’s a big ego to swallow, even for kids.
The funny thing is, as long as I can remember, I never have issue to apologize and I’m glad for it (not sure if it means I have no self respect =___=’). I believe that we learn from mistake, and if you don’t dare to even acknowledge it, how would you ever learn? I stick with that principal and somehow, I think I have overused it – In two different situation today, I was told explicitly that I shouldn’t have said sorry!
First Situation:
My friend A asked me to buy lunch for her. I was going out with my friend C. Somehow my friend C actually helped to order the food for my friend and paid for it. The next day, my friend A said sorry to me that she forgot to pay for the food. I instinctively said sorry back and told her that it has actually been paid by my friend C and not me. She was silent for a while, and then asked me what was I saying sorry for. I said that I’m sorry because I forgot to inform her that my friend C has paid for it. She “hahaha” me and then told me that I shouldn’t be saying sorry so easily :x
Second Situation:
This is more serious. I responded to an innocent looking email without discussing it with my team members. Apparently, there were already separate discussion going on for the same matter and my email has actually ruined the rapport. I received an angry call from A and nasty email from B (both are my team members) for my act. I think through my actions. The next day, I decided to reply back to B saying that I now understand what I should have done, I’m sorry about it, and I will ensure the same won’t happen in the future. He was ok with my first and third point, but said that I shouldn’t have apologies because I did what I have done with the best intentions.
My reaction when I got both these comments in the same day? Haiya! Not saying sorry is wrong, saying sorry also got complained back. Life is complicated. ^^; That aside, I’m thankful that both the people above actually decided to take the extra mile to inform me about it. I believe that this is not the first time I abuse the word “Sorry”, but this is the first time people actually told me about it :) I will consciously monitor the way I used the word going forward. Guess overusing it makes the word loses its meaning. For now, I’m sorry for not knowing when to say sorry =p
The Monday is not so blue today because... all in sudden, no sun no rain; my colleague gave me his wife’s famous banana cake! The whole loaf! It’s the best banana cake I ever eaten, I’m not even exaggerating. Thanks so much, Alan :) It’s calories worth spending on :)
I left office at 8.00 PM today. As usual, I waited and flagged the 51 near NOL building. The bus stopped and – guess what - the EZ Link machines were broken and the bus driver told us that our rides are free! This is the first time I encountered this kind of thing ^^;
I had a lovely dinner at Dawson, and then went to Fair Price looking for my 4th umbrella for the past two months. 4th!! I didn’t eat umbrella, but somehow my brolly turned unrecognizable after two uses. Since there wasn’t much choice available in Fair Price, I decided to maybe search for a better umbrella tomorrow. Any idea of umbrella brand is greatly welcomed.
It’s a day after the 10km run, and I’m really thankful that there is no post-match pain at all at my leg. Maybe I have Tiger Balm to thank for. The official result of the run is out, as well as some interesting statistic: I was on 2553rd place out from 12044. For Women, I stand at 670th place and I was ranked 13th for Female Indonesia category (they are trying to hard to please me with the last statistic). I received an email saying that the official photos are also out, but the website has been down for the last 2 hours =_= maybe I will check it out tomorrow.
Till next post!
ED
I guess it ties to the fact that by saying “sorry”, you’re acknowledging that you’re wrong, and you’re asking a favor from someone else to forgive you. It’s a big ego to swallow, even for kids.
The funny thing is, as long as I can remember, I never have issue to apologize and I’m glad for it (not sure if it means I have no self respect =___=’). I believe that we learn from mistake, and if you don’t dare to even acknowledge it, how would you ever learn? I stick with that principal and somehow, I think I have overused it – In two different situation today, I was told explicitly that I shouldn’t have said sorry!
First Situation:
My friend A asked me to buy lunch for her. I was going out with my friend C. Somehow my friend C actually helped to order the food for my friend and paid for it. The next day, my friend A said sorry to me that she forgot to pay for the food. I instinctively said sorry back and told her that it has actually been paid by my friend C and not me. She was silent for a while, and then asked me what was I saying sorry for. I said that I’m sorry because I forgot to inform her that my friend C has paid for it. She “hahaha” me and then told me that I shouldn’t be saying sorry so easily :x
Second Situation:
This is more serious. I responded to an innocent looking email without discussing it with my team members. Apparently, there were already separate discussion going on for the same matter and my email has actually ruined the rapport. I received an angry call from A and nasty email from B (both are my team members) for my act. I think through my actions. The next day, I decided to reply back to B saying that I now understand what I should have done, I’m sorry about it, and I will ensure the same won’t happen in the future. He was ok with my first and third point, but said that I shouldn’t have apologies because I did what I have done with the best intentions.
My reaction when I got both these comments in the same day? Haiya! Not saying sorry is wrong, saying sorry also got complained back. Life is complicated. ^^; That aside, I’m thankful that both the people above actually decided to take the extra mile to inform me about it. I believe that this is not the first time I abuse the word “Sorry”, but this is the first time people actually told me about it :) I will consciously monitor the way I used the word going forward. Guess overusing it makes the word loses its meaning. For now, I’m sorry for not knowing when to say sorry =p
The Monday is not so blue today because... all in sudden, no sun no rain; my colleague gave me his wife’s famous banana cake! The whole loaf! It’s the best banana cake I ever eaten, I’m not even exaggerating. Thanks so much, Alan :) It’s calories worth spending on :)
I left office at 8.00 PM today. As usual, I waited and flagged the 51 near NOL building. The bus stopped and – guess what - the EZ Link machines were broken and the bus driver told us that our rides are free! This is the first time I encountered this kind of thing ^^;
I had a lovely dinner at Dawson, and then went to Fair Price looking for my 4th umbrella for the past two months. 4th!! I didn’t eat umbrella, but somehow my brolly turned unrecognizable after two uses. Since there wasn’t much choice available in Fair Price, I decided to maybe search for a better umbrella tomorrow. Any idea of umbrella brand is greatly welcomed.
It’s a day after the 10km run, and I’m really thankful that there is no post-match pain at all at my leg. Maybe I have Tiger Balm to thank for. The official result of the run is out, as well as some interesting statistic: I was on 2553rd place out from 12044. For Women, I stand at 670th place and I was ranked 13th for Female Indonesia category (they are trying to hard to please me with the last statistic). I received an email saying that the official photos are also out, but the website has been down for the last 2 hours =_= maybe I will check it out tomorrow.
![]() |
| My Record from the Official Website - http://www.runpix.info |
![]() |
| In the meanwhile - a clear pic taken by Rin2 for me! Thx a bunch Rin!! |
ED


No comments:
Post a Comment