Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Springers

There are thousand ways to Rome. Similarly, there are many ways for you to get a head start to secure a job prior to graduation. One of Company HR’s favorite ways to make sure they got a right talent is to filter them through internship. Now, the HR goes even one step further. In order to ensure that they hooked the right people for internship, they are offering a program called Springers for the Year 1 and Year 2 students. They call it the “Springers Program”, for simplicity, I called it the “Pre-intership selection Program”. To be eligible for the program, they have to submit the cover letter and resume, pass through all the online IQ exams + 2 face-to-face interviews.

It’s a five days program right after the Uni’s exam. Once they were passed, their first two days were filled with orientation and networking. The next two days they were tagged to Analyst / Associate and observed how they did their day-to-day work. On the last day, they had to make presentation on the topic prepared by HR.

My role comes in on their third and fourth day. I was assigned one “springer” each day and they supposed to tail me wherever I go, literally everywhere (even to toilet =___=)

My first springer on Wednesday was a nice Chinese girl from NTU EEE. So polite, so humble, and typical nerdy girl – reminds me of myself when I was in Uni :p But I don’t recall writing a cover letter or resume when I was year 2, so I guess it will be an understatement for her to be compared with me :$ She told me that she is not the only one who started trying to get job in Year 2. The competition is really strong these days and they have to do all they can to boast their resume. She is going to exchange to US for 2 months after this – something that almost non-existent during my time. We chatted a lot and she was also asking a lot of questions. I hardly complete anything at the end of the day =__=

My second springer on Thursday was a Singaporean guy from SMU Info Comm. To ensure I didn’t repeat the same mistake (of over chatting), I told him that I will give him 3 slots for the day – briefing in the morning, q&a in the afternoon, and debrief in the evening. He sticks with it and it was really peaceful throughout the day. This one was more manageable and I do feel that he was more dependable compared with my first springer (SMU has some secret ingredient that make all the students look so awesome). I released him at around 5.30pm – he looked as happy as I was :p

Overall, it was a nice experience. I want t get an intern!! But not someone who stare at your monitor for the whole day... I won’t deny that I felt that pressure when they kept looking at my screen even when I was thinking and drafting an email. Due to the age gaps, I sometime kind of lost of common topics. They are 90’s! We’re 80’s! I have been working for 4 years, what can I say to people who wouldn’t started their interships for another year? Well, at least we were paid with a nice Japanese buffet lunch on Monday :p

For now, I’m just relief that it’s over and I can look forward to a peaceful week. It’s holiday in Germany this Thursday! Means no calls! Yay!
ED

No comments: