Aunt and uncle were in town during weekend to visit Feli. Being a thick face as I always am, I joined their family gathering on Sunday evening :p
I visited them at Mandarin Orchard Singapore – it’s my first time to see the hotel room and I quite like the room design (or maybe I’m just really bored with Marina Bay Sands). With such a strategic location, I think it really worth the $200/night.
From the hotel, we took a cab all the way to Geylang for dinner at Penang Seafood Restaurant. For such a distance and traffic jam, I thought the cab would cost us at least $20. Surprisingly, the final cost was… $12. Oh I love taking taxi on Sundays.
Penang Seafood restaurant is located at 76 Geylang Lorong 25A, just outside the Aljunied MRT. We reached there at around 6pm and the place was almost fully occupied. Despite the good business, the manager who attended to us was very down to earth. He also did his best to cater for us when we asked for change of menu after ordering. Thumbs up for the service!
 |
| Penang Seafood Restaurant - Outside Aljunied MRT |
The restaurant was famous for their Assam Fish Head, so we got that one. The rest of the dishes were based on the manager’s recommendation, which was nyummy!
I ate my heart out and was glad to know that it didn’t cause a bomb to our wallet :p By the time we went out, a long queue was already forming outside the restaurant.
 |
| Their Famous Assam Fish Head - $25 |
 |
| Group Pic before the food disappear :p |
 |
| The bill - no service charge! |
After a nice dinner, we walked around Geylang. I never really explored the area before. It’s filled with rows and rows of restaurant, selling various Chinese foods. After a 15 mins walk, we decided it’s time for a sweet dessert – what else if not the king of fruit – Durian!
Again, it’s my first time eating durian in Geylang (what have I done over the past 8 years in Singapore =_=’’) I don’t really know which good place to go, so we just try the one across the street (nearest from Aljunied MRT).
 |
| Durians! With various prices and promotions. |
 |
| How to even differentiate them? All look rounds and spiky. |
Well, I heard how tricky it could be to pick a durian at Geylang. Before I can warn my uncle, he already bought a durian for… $60 bucks! $60 bucks? Half a million rupiahs for a Durian? I rather went back to the restaurant and have another round of Fish Head. The durian is supposed to be “Wang sang Wang” – “The King of all Kings”, which is even better than “Mao Shan Wang”. Well, I’m no Durian expert, so I’m not sure what was so special about it. Out of curiosity, uncle bought another durian (what they claimed as Mao Shan Wang) for $18 and it actually tasted sweeter with smaller seed. Feli and I ended up eating most of the durians since both uncle and aunt couldn’t eat too much due to high blood pressure concern. My first and last durians of the year, I swear (OK I’m not a real fan of durian :p)
 |
| Wang Sang Wang - the $60 Durian O.O |
After filling up our tummy, we took a taxi back to Orchard and continued our adventure – hunting Christmas trees. The whole Orchard was beautifully lit up with Christmas decorations :)
 |
| Christmas Tree @ Takasimaya - Awesome as always! |
 |
| Road Side decoration - would have been better without the traffic :p |
 |
| Guess! Which mall is the Christmas Tree from! Ion Orchard. The purple ribbon gave the answer away :) |
We walked around until around 10pm, and then I excused myself to go back home. They sent me home with a big pack of souvenirs – biscuits, crackers, mangos, guava, all I could ask for ^^;
Nice gathering,
ED
No comments:
Post a Comment