Tuesday, December 11, 2012

To the Orthopedics!

Tuesday, 11 Dec. The day I have been waiting for the last 7 days. To finally come out from house and breath in the fresh air. My appointment was at 10.20am, but I reached there at around 9.20am. The service I received from everyone was amazing. There are people opening my taxi door, giving me wheelchair, and pushing me all the way to the clinic door.

The uncle who pushed my wheelchair was asking if it’s my first time going to the clinic. I asked how he knew. He said that only first timer would wear this kind of plaster cast. Once I went to the clinic, the doctor would put me on hard cast, he continued. I was stunned with his last sentence. Hard Cast? I can’t handle another day in cast!! He calmed me down and told me to let the doctor take the verdict. 

The waiting room with rows of clinic.
Once I did the registration, I started to play my CoD (Tuesday = new episode). It was not so long when the doctor called and I entered the clinic. He started to unwrap the cast while checking with me about my condition.

You won’t believe how I felt when I was finally off the cast. I actually wanted to ask if I could keep the cast for souvenir, but he threw it to dustbin too fast. He asked me to try walking. It felt awkward when my left leg touched the floor again. It felt numb and powerless that I decided to stick with wheelchair for the rest of the session.

Now that my bruises and swollen have actually gone, he asked me to took another x-ray to confirm that my leg is recovering. He was expecting to see the fracture line surrounded with calcium, but apparently it wasn’t the case. The fracture line was still as obvious as the first one, yet I didn’t feel the pain anymore.

Finally he declared that the line might not be a fracture after all but more of blood vein. I was happy and furious at the same time. It means that I was on cast for the last one week thanks to the wrong diagnosis! He told me that we couldn’t be really certain, as x-ray isn’t the best tool, and suggested me to take MRI for better result. Since my leg wasn’t hurting anymore, I decided to leave it as it’s and let it heal by itself.

SC subsidised rate at $25 -  never thought I would use my SC privileges so soon
I could already walk properly when the doctor finally told me that I could go. I was about to board the shuttle bus, when suddenly saw the announcement of… free food! I made a U turn and decided to give the hospital’s canteen a visit :p

Lunch is on you? Sounds good :D
Well, I'm glad that I headed to the canteen. I reached there at around 11am when the event was just starting. It was so exciting. Imagine a canteen where you can just get anything you want without paying a single cent! I decided to go for Malay Food, had soya bean for drink, black glutinous rice for dessert, and ice cream to complete the meal. Thanks Alexandra Hospital!

The whole decoration was quite colourful for a hospital
The canteen!
My free lunch + soya bean :p
It’s a sweet finish to my experience at the hospital. I went up to the shuttle bus with crutches and almost half of the passenger stood up to give me a seat. Thanks, all :') I will miss the extra care given to me, but for now I'm just really happy to be off the cast. Being immobile was extremely frustrating!

Crutches no more!
ED

No comments: